How do banana plugs work? They seal the ends of the wire so that plugging the wire into speakers or a receiver is easier. They are called banana plugs because they resemble the fruit in their shape. They are a must-have for those who often connect their speaker wires. Also, your space will look neat and organized once you install the banana plugs on the speaker wire.
How to Select the Right Banana Plug?
Depending on the thickness of the cable, the angle of approach, and overall quality, you have a few options to explore. The diameter of the cable is the most important factor. When you make a purchase, you must check the measurements so that you don’t end up with the wrong ones.
Also, especially if you are using banana plugs for the first time, you might want to choose plugs that are easy to install. While all of them take time and patience, there are a few that are easier to use than the rest. Going through the product descriptions may help you figure this out.
How to Install Banana Plugs?
Note: Switch the power off before you begin.
Accumulate the banana plugs, the speaker wire, and the wire stripper. That’s all you need!
- Speakers usually come with very long speaker wires. You can cut the wire into the length that is feasible for you. Before doing this, we urge you to take measurements carefully so that the wire is not too short. Always leave a little extra length for future changes or movements of the speaker system.
- With the wire stripper, get rid of a quarter of an inch of the insulator on the wire. In other words, you must expose the copper wire.
- Now, twist the copper wire tightly (but not too tightly) so that they don’t unravel suddenly. They must stay together.
- Pick one banana plug and unscrew it from the bottom. Be patient if it is too tight and don’t get frustrated! Remember, this step holds true for just about all banana plugs. Every type of banana plug has a hole through which the wire must be inserted.
- Insert the wire in and replace the bottom. Screw it in tightly so that the wire stays in place.
- Be sure to insert the wires in the right terminals of the speaker. The red one is positive, and the black one is negative. The red banana plug goes into the corresponding receiver. The same holds true for black.
- Now, connect the wires to the speaker in a similar manner – red goes into red and black goes into black.
- There you are! You can now switch the power on and see how neatly everything is stacked.
How to Connect Banana Plugs?
You must know about the positive and the negative wires when it comes to speakers. Otherwise, you will get confused while connecting the banana plugs to the wires.
Sometimes, the differentiation is quite obvious. There are red and black wires. Red wires are positive and black wires are negative. However, some other times, you may have to observe the wires closely to determine which is which. When both wires are similarly colored, one of them usually has some writing on it. This is the positive wire. This is important to know because the positive wire must connect to the red terminal of your speaker and the negative one must connect to the black terminal.
Knowing how to banana plugs will help you overcome a lot of hassle. Many people get worried because it seems daunting to them in the beginning. They end up making do with a lot of clutter! With this guide, you will hopefully stop compromising and install banana plugs to your speaker wire with ease. Once are done, you will realize just how user-friendly and organized your space becomes.